Safe Relocation: Protecting Your Home from Pests
When you plan to move your whole home, you’ll have hundreds of tasks for completion. Yet there is one of utmost importance – protection of your furniture from pests. Of course, if you already have bedbugs or any termites, there is no moving company that will guarantee your furniture’s safety. But if you ensure that your furniture is not infected, then proper protection can save you time and money in the future. So how to protect your precious furniture from the pests that can crawl literally everywhere?
You should understand that one of the most common pests living in mattresses and upholstery is a bedbug. The lifecycle of this insect stops after 10-11 days without food, which is you and your blood. So it seems that if your moving period is more than 10 days, you can forget about them forever. Unfortunately, movers say that these pests can survive for more than a month without feeding! So here are several tips on how to avoid infestation while moving your upholstery between homes.
Inspect all furniture that has upholstery before movers pack it.
- Check all furniture with any signs of upholstery: sofas, armchairs, chairs, beds, humpties, and whatever else you may have.
- Make sure that moving companies you plan to work with provide special protective cover for all your furniture. This point is especially important for mattresses! The cover must be seen-through and also very sturdy so that it doesn’t get ripen in the process of relocation.
- When you’re packing for a relocation, throw away all old stuff that you think might be infected. Even the smallest suspicion is enough!
- Before you pack any of the upholstery materials, including furniture and pillows, into the cases, vacuum them thoroughly to remove any successful hitchhikers.
- Should you be moving from or to a multi-family home, always isolate your unit with door sweeps on the doors bottom and sealing cracks and crevices around baseboards.
- Before you move, it’s also advantageous to treat any suspicious items with a portable heating chamber.
As you can see, there is nothing complicated, but bed bugs fight requires your full attention before the relocation. If you miss even a couple of bugs and move infected furniture into your new home, your problem will grow fast and efficiently bringing new headaches! Makes sure your furniture is clean before your move it to a new home!